Choosing a Facility
Skilled Nursing Facility Checklist
It is important for you and your family members to visit the facility to make sure that it meets your needs, as well as those of your family. A few things to consider when choosing a facility are listed here.
- Is the facility accepting new residents?
- Is the facility easy to visit for family and friends?
- Does the facility use hospitals where my doctor practices?
- Does the facility have the services I need?
- Does the facility have a variety of activities I might enjoy?
- Do residents appear clean and well groomed?
- Do the residents have the same staff on a daily basis?
• Is there enough staff available to assist residents?
• Does the staff respond quickly to residents’ calls for help?
- Does the facility have an active resident and/or family council?
- Is the facility clean and pleasant?
- Is the facility certified by Medicare and Medicaid?
- Are both the facility and current administrator licensed?
- How much is the cost of care in this facility?
• What services are included in this price?
• What additional costs will I have to pay?
- Ask to see the facility’s last annual state inspection report.
- Did the report find any problems? Ask how the problems were fixed.